Thursday, April 30, 2009

Awesome Music Videos: Deciding my Top 20 on a whim

My friend asked me what my favourite music video is, and I was thinking of mentioning the Sigur Ros video I posted previously, but when he said favourite, he meant AWESOME. He wanted to watch AWESOME music videos.

He sent Pearl Jam's "Evolution" to me, which is absolutely brilliant.

That prompted me to look for my personal Top 20, which I created on a whim, sort of. If I went through all of the music videos made to date, I might die. So this Top 20 isn't the be-all and end-all of music videos, but ones that I remember and love, whether they're fresh from the 2000s, or from before I was born. Finally, here is that list:

20) M.I.A.'s "Boyz"

This video is a surefire headache if you watch it too often, but it's so colorful and crazy that I cannot discount it. Not only is the song a great dance hit, but I want every single one of M.I.A.'s outfits in it, especially the weird, pink overall onesie.

19) Dr. Dre's "Nuthin' but a G Thang"

The cars, the women, the guns – I mean, c'mon. Priceless. But this makes my list purely for the scene at 2:39 when the toddler dances perfectly in beat with the "that" and slams his hand down, and with the "this," when he slides it like a true player.

18) Missy Elliott's "Work It"


This video is full of awesome. I love the memorials for Lisa Left Eye and Aaliyah, and the little kids dancing. Some random individual scenes are great. The Prince bit is ace. The four dancers when she sings about her "ka-dunk-a-dunk-dunk" are the reason men like jiggly butts. And my favourite is the slave slapping the white out of his "mas'r." I won't lie, though. Missy's face on that kid with the dunce cap still creeps me out.

17) Prodigy's "Smack My Bitch Up"

This uncensored version is just fucking crazy – and hey! You weren't expecting that ending, were ya? No one was, and that's what makes it so much better.

16) Twisted Sister's "We're Not Gonna Take It"

"Take that, Dad!"

15) Lordi's "Hard Rock Hallelujah"



It's the a-rock-alypse! A cute punk chick befriends the monster band and leads her cheerleader-turned-zombie gang to wreak havoc on the school. Um, awesome!

14) 2Pac and Dr. Dre's "California Love"

Big money leads to big productions. This is one of those mini-movie type music videos. How fun would have this been to film? And, I'm actually from LA, and I have to agree with them. California does know how to party.

13) Ungdomskulen's "Modern Drummer"

Just . . . what? Cool.

12) Ratatat's "Mirando"

Good song. The video plays on repetition (Hey! Just like their music!), and it's an interesting abstraction of Ratatat's music. Even better: One of the members of the band (Evan Mast) makes the videos on his own (under his pseudonym/other project, E*VAX).

11) OK Go's "Here It Goes Again"



I know, I know. Everyone has seen this video. But you can't deny that it's amazing! The coordination is flawless. This video makes me want to 1) dance with them, 2) drink with them, and 3) be in their next masterpiece.

10) RJD2's "Work It Out"

"The vid features Bill Shannon who was born with a degenerative hip condition. His legs cannot carry his own weight and so he has lived a life on crutches. He has developed a new way of moving through life on his skateboard and the crutches. Though this may look like a recreational hobby or a debilitation, it is simply how Bill maneuvers throughout the day . . . RJD2 plays several extras which you can try to spot as well." –Beggars Group

Sweet moves.

9) Bat For Lashes' "Daniel"

She is undeniably cute. The video is so enigmatic with the black things in contrast with the little lady.

8) CSS' "Alala"

The entire video is a fight scene in reverse. Check out the sweet wounds throughout. It was directed by the amazing Cat Solen, who does fantastic things with music videos. Check out other videos directed by Cat, like Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson's "Buriedfed" (which has my best friend Ashley in it), Sea Wolf's "Winter Windows," and Bright Eyes' "At the Bottom of Everything." Go Cat!

7) The Teenagers' "Homecoming"

The band that manages to make fun of indie culture while being so remarkably indie themselves. Who doesn't like indie girls in short shorts eating cupcakes and playing with pom-poms? And the fact that the video is so ego-centric (because all the girls are basically in love with the trio – Quentin, Michael and Dorian) goes along perfectly with their image. I have met these guys several times, and I just love every silly little element that pairs this lightly misogynistic video with the lightly misogynistic song. Hooray misogyny!

6) Foals' "Mathletics"

Even though the academic tinge on this video is probably prompted by the title of the song, it's entertaining to know that the lead singer, Yannis Phillipakis, once went to Oxford University in England. He dropped out for the band. They're nice fellas, too.

5) Talking Heads' "And She Was"

Reminds me so much of Monty Python, for one reason or another.

4) Metronomy's "A Thing For Me"



This video is hilarious because the band brings the bouncing ball to life. You'd think that the concept gets boring after a while, but it doesn't! They get innovative with the idea: At one point, one guy pushes the lyric over to another so he doesn't get hit in the head. And they make fun of their own lyrics: "hive goth my mind made up. you goat maya art uno."

3) Lily Allen's "The Fear"



I wish life was actually like this: balloons and cupcakes and giant presents! Lily's fantasy worlds are always amazing, like the one she creates in "LDN."

2) Hot Chip's "Ready For The Floor"



These nerds make some fucking great dance music. And the funny thing is, they suck at dancing themselves. (I know this first hand.) This video plays with colors, like when they splash paint on people you didn't know were there. The band members also play a version of Human Tetris. They're adorable, and this video belongs at the top of this list.

And, in this whim, this wonderful wonderful whim, of looking at music videos, my number one for today (because it will probably change by tomorrow) is:

1) Justice's "D.A.N.C.E."



I don't care how played out this song is. The video is glorious. The animation is perfect, and each T-shirt would actually be cool to wear.


Whew. That took a lot longer than I expected. And looking back on it, the best part is that I realized I have met/hung out with/photographed five of the groups that are in my Top 20.

But as for this Top 20, it is likely to change, especially after I attend Northern Transmissions 2 at Scandinavia House tonight. (See below.)

SPECIAL FILM EVENT
Northern Transmissions 2
Thursday, April 30, 7 pm, $9 ($6 ASF members)

Scandinavia rocks in this program of music videos from across the Nordic region. The lineup presents a cross-section of Scandinavia’s geographically, aesthetically, and aurally diverse output. From Sweden’s macabre dark-wave to upbeat Norwegian pop, and on to the pastoral digital bliss of Iceland, Finland and the next wave of indie rock exported from Denmark, these videos will delight the ears and eyes. Featuring videos by Raveonettes, Efterklang, Seabear, Leoncie, Sigur Ros, Lykke Li, El Perro del Mar, Tvarvagen, Bjorn Kleinhenz, Whitest Boy Alive, Ane Brun, Lau Nau, Eleanoora Rosenholm, and others.

Maybe I will find some new favourites!

###

Ol' Dirty Bastard – Got Your Money (Featuring Kelis)

No comments:

Post a Comment